Retailers: Product optimization should be done sooner than you think
Product content optimization is the process of modifying or improving product attributes in order to provide accurate, complete, and high-quality content. The task was traditionally associated with the marketing department of the company. This is because it’s the marketing department within an online retailer who take the product content from their PIM or shop system and uses it to create high-quality marketing and shopping feeds. Online shoppers today expect accurate, reliable product information at all touchpoints. This could be an advertisement on Facebook, a listing on Google Shopping, or even a website or offline catalog. What does this mean to online retailers?
To ensure a consistent customer experience at every touchpoint, and maximize your revenue potential.
It sounds simple, right? Although the goal is simple, many online retailers face a few obstacles along the way.
Product content optimization is a challenge
Online retailers often receive product information from thousands or hundreds of suppliers. Every merchant provides information in a different format. This means that the data sets a retailer receives are not always in the same format. Merchant product feeds may contain only the minimum information, can be unstructured and messy.
Why don’t retailers optimize product content in their PIM systems? Here are three reasons it doesn’t work.
- Modern optimization toolsWhile some PIM systems provide basic editing capabilities, they lack the optimization tools required to take your golden records to the next level. Retailers should not rely on PIM systems to maximize their revenue potential.
- PIMs do not allow bulk editsThis means that even the smallest edits can be very manual and must be done product-by-product.
- Time commitments of a lifetimeManually editing millions upon millions of product attributes can take a lot of time. This could lead to slower turnarounds and missed opportunities.
To avoid the above difficulties, some retailers decide not to optimize. However,A poor quality gold record can have serious consequencesThis includes:
- Chances misseddissatisfied and misinformed customers can cause a downturn in traffic to your website
- You can do more work laterWhen creating marketing feeds, you will need to spend some time cleaning out the raw product data before you can optimize and tailor it.
How can you ensure your golden record shines?
Solution: Optimize your content prior to importing it into your PIM
You can use product content optimization and integration software to merge all vendor feeds, analyze their quality, standardize and structure the content, then submit it to your PIM system as a single master feed. This is how Productsup works.
This product content is known as a “golden record”. This article will discuss the advantages of a high-quality, golden record. We’ll also give some examples of how optimizations can be performed and show you how to get started.
What are the advantages of a high-quality gold record?
An online retailer’s best bet for success is a high-quality gold record. These are just a few benefits.
Consistent omnichannel customer experience
Shoppers expect accurate, reliable product information across all channels. They may start their research on your website but then may move to your mobile app to view more details. Inaccurate or incorrect product information is a sure way to lose customers. If the content of a retargeting advertisement is different from the content on your website, customers will be confused and lose the sale. However, if your golden records are high-quality, consistent, clean and correct, you can ensure that customers will find accurate, reliable product information at every touchpoint.
This leads to: Higher revenue potential
Your revenue potential isThe quality of your product inventory is directly related to its quality. Your PIM should contain high-quality content. This will make your customers more satisfied and increase your revenue potential.
A high-quality, golden record has many benefits. One is the time it saves you. You won’t need to clean or standardize your data when creating marketing feeds. Instead, you can focus on channel-specific optimizations.
This leads to: A faster time to market (TTM).
A high-quality golden file will eliminate the need to standardize and clean data during the creation of marketing feeds. This will allow you to list your products and get your ads up and running much faster. This also means you’ll get paid faster!
You may now be curious about how to make your golden record shine. Let’s look at some examples.
What can you do for a high-quality gold record?
Before we dive into the optimizations and integrations that you can make to enhance the quality of your golden records, please take a look at the following timeline.
Step 1. A powerful tool for data analysis, optimization, and data integration
Step 2. Combine all merchant feeds into one master data record
Step 3. Analyze and identify areas where optimizations may be needed
Step 4. Standardize and clean existing content
Step 5. You can add additional content through third-party integrations
Step 6. Send one high-quality feed to PIM
The key is to find the right software at the beginning so that the rest of the process will be easy. There are many software tools that can be used to integrate data, but not for optimization. Make sure you look for one that does everything.
After you have merged all merchant feeds into one master feed, it is time to analyze, clean, and standardize it. Here are some examples:
Clean existing content
- Standardize terms: Not all suppliers are meticulous when it comes down to the way they write a product name (e.g. HP, hp, Hewlett Packard). Customers can be confused by inconsistent brand names and it will make it harder to track your inventory. A simple bulk-edit will ensure that your master data record has the correct brand name. This could also be true for product colors (blue sky, navy, etc.). .
- Clear product descriptions and titlesGood product titles and descriptions are a powerful tool. These help customers better understand the purchase process and make it easier to locate the product they want as they get closer to making a purchase. These are some things you can do in order to make sure they are of high quality.
- Include the brand name in the title
- Eliminate consecutive white spaces
- Consistent capitalization
- Correct spelling
- Eliminate duplicate words
- Add key product information to your titles, such as size, color and details (e.g. Organic, petite, stainless, etc.
- Consistent pricing formatsFive dollars can be written in many different ways. $5.00, $5.00, and 5 USD. To ensure that every product in your master record has the same price structure, standardize it in bulk.
After you have cleaned up your first master data record, it is possible to shift your focus towards adding product content. Here are some examples.
Add more content
- Integrate product imagesCreating omnichannel consistency requires product images. All product images, either from DAM or image suppliers, should be merged into your master data file. You can associate them all with the same product, and it won’t take you long to do this manually in your PIM system. It is also easy to find missing or broken images links.
- Integrate competitor pricing: Knowing where your pricing ranks among your competitors is always helpful. This information should be included in your golden records. To automatically associate each price with the appropriate product, you can merge this information into your masterfeed. This information will help you optimize your pricing strategy, and it will also be very useful later for marketing.
- Incorporate product ratings: These days, many consumers won’t consider purchasing a product if they don’t see the rating of it. This is especially true if the retailer’s website or mobile apps are not available. This information can be incorporated into your golden record to ensure that it is visible across all channels.
- Integrate analyticsUsing third-party analytics to help you find the best sellers and better categorize your products can be a great way to do this. This data can be included in your golden record to help you keep better track on the performance of all your products.
Are you ready to get started? Productsup can help!
You can use a dedicated product content optimization and standardization software to standardize, clean, optimize, and complete a single master record in bulk. It can then be submitted to your PIM in a single, high quality feed. This is a Productsup speciality.
Do you have thousands of sources to integrate?
Productsup software integrates with almost any source, no matter how many or what format.
Are you looking for software that can handle millions of products? It’s possible! No problem! Our software allows clients to export approximately 310 billion products each month. It’s safe for us to say that our 800+ clients all over the world are managing their huge feeds very well.
Optimize your product content easily
Productsup comes with over 250 pre-configured bulk-editing boxes and other features that make it easy to optimize any size inventory.
Product content syndication
Productsup was also mentioned in Forrester’s Vendor Landscape: Product Information Management (PIM), Q3 2017.
Customers of SAP Hybris may also be interested in Productsup Data Syndication 1.2, which was the first product to receive an SAP Premium Certification for integration with SAP Applications.